Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Morbid The Merrier Review

Since Lysa's having such an awesome sale, let's start with a few of her scents. I have three perfume oils in the 5ml size: Horseman, Lizzie and Saucy Jack. All three were introduced for the Halloween 2010 season.


Horseman is part of the Sleepy Hollow series, and is still available. The shop describes it as "Fiery jack-o-lanterns, black leather boots, temple incense, and the edge of a dark Autumn wood. Opens sweet, almost caramel-foody, but after only a few minutes on the skin, it darkens dramatically, almost changing into a different scent altogether."

I think this is a pretty good description. It starts out with a strong buttery-caramel scent, followed by a slight resinous undertone. As it fades, the dry-down becomes smoky and dark with a touch of leather while keeping a sweet toffeeish scent. It's subtle and it lingers, giving a strong overall impression of drinking hot toddies by an autumn bonfire. This could be a unisex fragrance, if the gentleman in question doesn't mind a slightly sweet aroma about his person.



Lizzie is no longer available, but the site description is "A waft of Mother's garden blooms, Father's unlit pipe, tiny roses on the parlor wallpaper, and a dusty wooden axe handle."

This one is a floral with slightly dark undertones. I can't pick out the individual floral notes, though I think I might be getting a touch of gardenia. There's a breath of greeness as well. It's got a dusty feel to it, like something old and neglected. There's definitely a hint of woodiness underneath the floral. Lizzie is floral without being too sweet, and the wood tones anchor it and fill out the base. Think of visiting an old Victorian haunted house during the day - beautiful but derelict, with a hint of menace waiting in the wings. You could wear this to a conservative workplace without feeling too edgy or out of place.




Saucy Jack
This was another limited edition fragrance, described as "Deep, dark, and resinous... redolent of stained and tattered petticoats, damp brick, and spilled blood in a London alleyway...."

Of the three, this is my favourite. It's similar in tone and ambiance to the other two, but the initial notes are a bit sharper. The woodsy, resinous tones dominate, followed by a sharp floral sweetness. There's nothing delicate about Saucy Jack, it's heady and luscious, like some dangerously tempting forbidden bouquet. Wear this on a hot summer night - it's dark, sexy and alluring.

Each of these fragrances sold for 12$ and came in an amber 5ml bottle with a eurostopper and an individually designed label.

I hope you've enjoyed this little introduction the The Morbid The Merrier. I'll continue later with reviews of some of the solid scents and samples I own, as well as a few lip balms.


Photos property of TMTM. All products were purchased by me for my own use. My opinions are my own and always will be. Your mileage may vary.

4 comments:

  1. HI! I'm your first follower and first commenter! <3 These perfumes sound intriguing! I might have to check this company out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurrah! Welcome Amanda - now I don't feel like I'm talking to myself (grin) Hope you enjoy the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just ordered a sample of Horseman, so I'm really glad to read your review! I was scared of it being too leathery, but your review makes it sound just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ki - welcome to the blog - I think you'll like Horseman, the leather is more an undertone than anything else - let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete